It’s that time of year again when you should stop and take stock of the year gone by, if you’re inclined to try and be a better you then this is the time to give it a go.
If you’re not one of those people who likes to make resolutions to learn a new language and you’re not even going to pretend that 2014 is the year you’re going to start hitting up the gym, then maybe these New Year’s style resolutions will be a better fit for you.
- Purge your closet – One of the most important things that you can do to start the New Year off on the right foot is a decent wardrobe purge. A closet full of old clothes that you never wear make for long mornings of not being able to decide what to put on. There are some basic rules to follow when embarking on a wardrobe purge: if there are items you have never worn, items that are stained, ripped or the wrong size then it’s time for them to go. Don’t be scared of having a really empty wardrobe, think of it as an opportunity to re-stock with items that you’ll cherish for a lot longer!
- Change up your locks – if you really want a fresh start then a new hairstyle is one of the easiest ways to bring your look into the New Year. Weather you go for a simple trim to keep things tidy or a dramatic bob make sure you take the time to really think about what you’re going for so that you don’t end up regretting your decision on the first of January. Flick through Pinterest or Vogue for some inspiration and make sure to consult your hairdresser on what they think will suit your colouring and face shape.
- Keep things fun with colour – Whether you’re a die hard fan of bright florals or prefer to keep things sophisticated in monochrome a pop of colour is a great way to bring another dimension to any look. Whether it’s in the form of a vampish red lipstick or a flash of colour from your accessories.
- Treat yourself to an Investment piece – The rule of thumb here is buying less and spending more, avoid going shopping not really knowing exactly what you need. Don’t go in to town and spend hundreds of pounds on cheap items that you’ll get bored of in less than a week, it really is about quality over quantity in this case. Try a new approach to shopping in order to know exactly what you can and can’t afford, budgeting will make things easier, try downloading an app to keep track of where your money is going.
- Find your perfect lipstick shade – There’s nothing quite like having a signature lipstick shade so go out on a mission to find the perfect hue for your colourings. A slick of red or pink lipstick is the ideal way to take a look from day to evening and an even better way to hide a hangover! Beauty must have!
- Find a Style Muse – Fashion is all about personal style but defining that style is much easier if you have a source of inspiration. We’re not saying steal their style item for item but it there’s someone whose sense of fashion you like then use them as a starting point for your own ensembles. Put together a Pinterest board of your favourite fashionista’s looks and see which items you need to recreate fashion forward outfits in an instant.
- Find a good beauty regimen and stick to it – Why not start off the New Year by treating yourself, invest in decent skincare and stick to a proper regimen. Having bright, clear skin will do wonders for your self-confidence!
- Take more Style risks – You hardly have to be Carrie Bradshaw but why not make this year the year of ‘why not’ when it comes to style, if you see something you like then give it a go. Try out wearing some cool tracksuit trousers for a cool sports luxe aesthetic or a chic turban instead of a hat to keep warm in the cold months.
- Intelligent accessorising – As the years pass you will begin to understand the importance of accessorising properly, get rid of all of the tack in your jewellery box that is broken or started to tarnish and invest in some more expensive pieces that you’ll get more wear out of. Find an accessories style and stick to it weather its statement pieces or delicate pretty items.
- Invest in your feet: Heels and flats – A fashion savvy girl will never need an excuse to invest in a new pair of shoes but if you did then the beginning of the new year is as good as any. We always say that it’s good to have a sturdy ankle boot in the winter along with an off duty shoe and a smarter pair of heels for special occasions. Give your shoe collection a bit of a spring clean and see which pairs need replacing or updating.
This article was written by Farfetch